Published: 03 April 2013
A new phone cover
digitised logo When thinking about a website, it seemed clear that a logo was a good idea. After much consideration I decided to knit the web address. I used 2mm needles and Shetland Heritage yarn in two colours, Madder and Fluggy White. This was knitted in the round then cut open. To prevent fraying I used iron-on interfacing, then took some photos. The experts at NB Communication digitised the photo of my knitting and the logo was born. Since then I've had this piece of knitting pinned to my noticeboard.
When I got a new phone and, as is the way of such things, the new phone didn't fit into the cover of the old phone. I found a little felted bag which I used for a while but it began to show signs of heavy use. I decided it was time to custom knit a cover but found the original knitted piece was too long. Surprisingly I had made a note of the needle size I used so this time I went down to 1.5mm needles, then hoped it would fit. finished phone cover
Once I'd decided on the number of stitches needed to get the website name on both front and back I had to add a few more to cover the bottom edge of the phone. I didn't have much Madder and Fluggy White in my stash so I added Indigo, a favourite colour. I had to guess how many rows I should do before and after the logo but it turned out well and I just had to add a row of indigo before using a three needle bind off for the long sides of the phone. I had started with a provisional cast on so that I would have live stitches, and could make the sides match. So that I could keep knitting in the round I used a steek - extra stitches added to make a bridge between the two sides. There were very long floats on the inside - I didn't catch them as that is likely to show, especially with high contrast colours. I had to be careful to keep spreading the stitches to make sure they weren't too tight.
Before washing To protect the floats I needed to line the cover. I picked stitches from the area where the steek meets the main part of the knitting - where it naturally curls after it's been cut. I made one stitch from every row, did some decreases, then knitted a single colour lining in the round. I ran out of all the colours I had already used so found a little bit of Peat to finish off the lining.
vintage button To finish off I washed and dressed (blocked) the cover over a length of cardboard and left it to dry. I found a vintage button in my collection, and crocheted a loop to fasten the top.
all I needed for the project For this project I used Prym double pointed needles, 20cm long. I really enjoyed using these steel needles, and do wish they would make them in longer lengths - 35cm is ideal.
Buy Knitting Patterns
Subscribe for Updates
Enter your email address to receive updates from hazeltindall.com in your inbox...
Shetland is the most northerly group of Scottish islands. Apart from mainland Scotland, the other near neighbours are Norway to the east and the Faroe Islands to the north west.